Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday, November 26, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving (belated) and Welcome Back!
I intended to post before the holiday, but the hustle-bustle of  turkey day caused me to run out of time.   I hope everyone had a peaceful and enjoyable Thanksgiving with their family.  I am very thankful to have the opportunity to work with your precious children everyday.  I love what I do, and I feel blessed to be your student's first grade teacher!  I am also thankful for the support I receive from our fabulous first grade families!

DAILY REMINDERS:
  • Homework: Spelling worksheet over Week 13 words.    
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF YOUR FIRST GRADER:
  • Shared Reading:  We read The Lady With the Alligator Purse.  We discussed the story elements of the story (characters, setting, problem, solution).  These elements are important parts of a retell when your student has finished reading a book.  Encourage them to tell you the story elements after you read a story together. 
  • Word Work:  Week 13 spelling words (went, with, are, brown, eat).  Don't forget your first grader can practice their words on www.spellingcity.com.  It's a fun way to study the words every week.  Test is on Friday, Nov. 30.
  • Guided Reading/Daily 5:  I introduced some new activities for the word work and work on writing centers.  They will be sorting words with the long and short a and e sounds.  Another activity is to write a book about a food and write a story about a sailing ship.  In our reading groups we are focusing on words that are in the same family (-ame family) and retelling the stories we read.
  • Math:  This week we are working on subtraction.  We took the chapter pretest today.  We also took an addition time test.
  • Social Studies:  Our unit on the Pilgrims and American Indians continues this week.  We should be ready to test on Friday or early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment